History of Palace
The name Jaunmokas was first mentioned in documents back in 1544. The oasis of romance and serenity — the Jaunmokas Palace — was built here much later in 1901. Even though, in comparison with other famous rivals of Latvia, the Jaunmokas Palace is still a young lady, but it has already earned a special place on the list of Latvian architectural masterpieces.
The “stylist” of the young lady was the architect Wilhelm Bockslaff (1858-1945). The palace was designed as the hunting lodge for the mayor of Riga George Armitstead (1847-1912), boasting a combination of Neo-gothic shapes and Art Nouveau elements.
George Armitstead became the owner of the Jaunmokas Palace from 1885 (some sources say 1892). After the death of his father, he took over the Rindzele manor estate and sold the Jaunmokas Palace to the Brinkens family.
From 1910–1918 the palace belonged to the von Ungern-Sternberg family, followed by the agriculturist family of German origin — the Wilhelm Freymann family. This was the last wave of aristocratic relaxation to take place at the estate. After the agrarian reform in 1920, the Jaunmokas Palace (1394 ha) was split up. The Manor centre remained the Freymann family property, whereas the household buildings and land was rented. In 1929, the palace was used as a centre of rehabilitation of children “Cīrulīši” of the Riga Municipality.
During World War II, the palace was used by both the Russian and German army. At the beginning of the war, a Russian sergeants’ school was set up there, but in the later years of the war — German war hospital.
After the war, the palace was used for Soviet offices, community centres, shops and apartments. Everybody wanted to settle in these premises, but nobody did any repair works. In 1974, the Ministry of Forestry and Forest Industry of the Latvian Soviet Socialist Republic took over the partly destroyed palace building. Renovation works started and lasted for more than 20 years.
Since 1992, the palace was managed by the State Hunting Administration (Valsts medību saimniecība), but, since 2000, the state joint stock company “Latvijas Valsts Meži” .